Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Road to RHCE - Day 1

The thought of getting myself RHCE certified started some five to six years back. That remained a thought for a long time before I finally made my mind to make it into a reality.

Picked up a training center at T.Nagar and got myself enrolled on May 1st 2014. It took about one and a half month for the center to form the batch for the timing that I opted for and the classes started on June 18th 2014.

My intention of this blog is just to keep a digital copy of whatever notes that I take in the class. I am planning to blog the topics that are covered everyday.

A big thanks to my friend Shrinivasan, who motivated me to start this series & eventually to return back to blogging.

This might also help someone who is looking for quick help in linux or it might also give a good idea for students about the topics covered in RHCE. Anyway with some hope that my blog would help myself/others as a quick reference, let me get this rolling...


Day 1

First day was slow, as normally it would be for any training course for that matter. Our faculty gave us ample time (really 'a lot of time') to get settled in the classroom and after the formal introduction, he threw an unexpected bomb to us.

"Since this is the first day, you may start now if you wish. Or if you want me to take class, I can do that as well."

We were like "what, are you kidding???"

We finally convinced our faculty to start with the class and so after the regular features of linux stuff, our day 1 started with the default filesystem hierarchy of linux. Here on, I am switching to a text book style to minimize my blabbering and just to focus on the subject rather.

Disclaimer: The information shared in this blog from this point on are direct from the classroom and I am blindly replicating those here. Constructive feedback is always welcome if any inappropriate or misleading information is found.


Linux Filesystem Hierarchy

Below are the default directories that get created when you install RedHat linux operating system -

/              - top level directory
/root       - root user's home directory
/home     - placeholder for normal user(s)'s home directories
/bin         - contains the commands that can be executed by normal users
/sbin       - contains the commands that can be executed by root user
/boot      - boot loader info
/etc         - system config files
/dev        - device(s) info
/usr        - documentation files
/var        - log files
/opt        - 3rd party app data
/proc      - process & system info
/sys        - process & system info
/mnt       - placeholder to mount external media
/media   - placeholder to mount external media
/lib         - library files and modules

Terminal

The default shell that will be used during the training is bash (bourne again shell)

Terminal is the command prompt window which we can invoke in 3 ways from the desktop -

1. Press Alt+F2 -> type gnome-terminal
2. Click Applications -> System Tools -> Terminal
3. Right-click on the desktop -> Open in Terminal

To zoom in when inside the terminal - press Ctrl+Shift+"+"
To zoom out when inside the terminal - press Ctrl+"-"
To open a new tab in the terminal - press Ctrl+Shit+T
To switch between open tabs in the terminal - press Alt+

Tidbits of the day

  • whoami command is used to know the user as whom we logged in currently
  • date command is used to view/set the system date/time
  • hwclock command is used to view the CMOS date/time
  
--End of Day 1--

No comments: